Our school lunches are freshly prepared at our school each day, by our caring, well trained catering team. We believe they are some of the healthiest, tastiest school lunches around and members of staff regularly eat them.
The meals include some old favourites such as traditional roast dinners, spaghetti bolognaise, a twist on all day breakfast and the occasional plate of fish and chips as well as salads, filled jacket potatoes, pasta, pizza and non-meat choices
National standards mean that school lunches provide at least two portions of fruit and/or vegetables. The standards ensure menus are lower in fat, sugar and salt by restricting deep fried foods and by not allowing chocolate, sweets, salty snacks and sugary drinks.
School lunches are healthy, well balanced and nutritious. They pack in essential vitamins and minerals that your child needs to help them grow, develop, fight infections and to help provide the energy they need to lead a happy, active and healthy life.
As your child starts school there are lots of decisions you will have to make. One of the most important is what they will do at lunch time. So why should you opt for the school meal? Here are some of the main reasons:
- Your child’s school meal will be nutritionally balanced to give the right amount of nutrients essential to support healthy growth.
- Children Young People & Children Catering Service provide school meals that meet the governments food group and nutrient standards ensuring meals are low in fat, salt and sugar and high in fibre.
- School Meals develop children’s social skills and help your child to learn about using cutlery properly and safely.
- Your child will learn how to talk to others while having a meal and make new friends. This will help your child grow in confidence.
- It can be difficult to get children to try new foods. At school we let them try small portions of food to see if they like it and if so they can have more.
- Teaching and supervisory staff are on hand to encourage children to eat up their lunch.
- Catering staff quickly learn what children like and they will ensure that no child goes hungry.
- A balanced lunch is the best way of ensuring children are attentive and in the best frame of mind to learn in afternoon